Friday, January 26, 2007

My Theater Experience


During our Dress Rehearsals


At the Cast Party in Susan's House

Different on the outside but the same on the inside. Our common love for theater binds us.


We opened to an SRO crowd last night. The ticket manager has to turn away some people and told them to just come back tomorrow night because the theater was full. They have to add some seats just to accomodate the crowd.



Last Saturday's preview did work. The audience loved the show and started to tell their friends about it. We were in the papers for 3 days in a row. It was my first time to see my picture in the papers. (This would definitely be in the pages of my scrapbook)



It was my first time to "act" in front of the crowd. I wrote my own piece so I am pretty confident on what to say, but still, there is that feeling of fear and anxiety. "What if I forgot my lines? What if I trip? What if....What if....." My hands were shaking and my lips were dry. It's a good thing that the spotlight was blinding me, so I just concentrated on my piece and delivered my lines.



As I spoke, I felt the nervousness disappear. I was telling my story to all the people in the audience. Hey, this is my experience. I woke up at 2am. I was lonely and alone. I can't sleep and I am terribly homesick. The audience listened. And they listened well.



Our director said that at least of couple of people approached her after the show and said that my piece made them cry.



Last night, a Chinese lady came to me and said that she related so much with my piece and that she misses her country too.



I felt good hearing those feedbacks. It makes me realize that the voice I have within me, is the same voice that could reach out to other people regardless of race and color. The feeling of homesickness is a universal feeling.


My professor in Creative Non-Fiction class was right. It takes a lot of honesty and courage to go deep inside yourself and tell the world your story. We may be different on the outside but definitely the same on the inside. (It's just so disappointing that the person whose journey was closest to mine, chose not to watch the show. But, it was his loss not mine.)


I love theater! On to the next show!






No comments: