Thursday, January 25, 2007

Chamorro 101

The Pinay Expat Wearing the Traditional Islander Costume.


Saipan. My home for 1 year. I've learned so much from my stay here. Sana lahat ng natutunan ko ay magamit ko sa aking mga susunod na adventures. Heto ang ilan sa mga salitang Chamorro na itinuro sa akin ng aking officemate na si Martin.


Hafa Adai - Mabuhay!

Hafa? - What's up?

Adios - Goodbye

Hazi Naanmu? - What is your name?

Inannu si Pam - My name is Pam

Inanmu si Bert - His name is Bert

Namoli ki dia - Have a good day

Benlana Hao - the "F----word"

Kaduko - Crazy guy

Kaduka - Crazy lady

Za hu y cafe - I like the coffee

Za hu y kareta - I like the car

Adios, esta gupa - Goodbye see you tomorrow

Esta birada - See you later

Guay za hao Mae - I love Mae

Ti guay za hao Pres. Bush - I don't love Pres. Bush

Plumeria - Calachuci

Tangan-tangan - ipil-ipil tree

Palpalatong - Kalokohan, Bola

Mallik - Good

Unggan - Yes

Pronunciation:

When I was in Singapore 2 years ago, I noticed that Singaporeans accentuate their English with "Lah" So they say, "OK lah." "No, lah!" Chamorros accentuate English with "Ne." So here, in Saipan, it's "OK Ne." "No, ne"

"Check fan the files, ne." - Can you check the files please.

"Nut....ting" - Nothing

Words ending in 'L' are pronounced in 'short L' and with a heavy turn about kind of accent at the end of the word." Example: Mel (M^el), bottle - (ba te^L)

No comments: