Wednesday, January 24, 2007

American Dream




Issues confronting the islands these days.


There are 2 issues that pervade the island these days. Minimum wage hike and federalization.



When I inform my acquaintances that I am no longer renewing my contract, their reaction would be that of shock. And then, they would ask me, "Why?"


I would just shrug my shoulders and say, "Because....."



They can't understand why in the world would I leave Saipan? I have a good job and my employment condition is "rare" compared to the mainstream employment conditions of contract workers here. Some would even try to change my mind and encourage me to stay. "Naku, malapit ng maging federal ang Saipan. Magtiis ka na lang."


Again, I would just shrug my shoulders and smile.


Recently, the US congress has passed the bill raising the minimum wage to $7.25 per hour. Here in Saipan, the minimum wage is $3.05 per hour. A lot of buzz has been going around. The concern whether businessmen would be able to pay the raise. With the economic slump on the island, where are a lot of businesses are closing shop, I wonder how would a slow business condition afford such wage hike.


A lot of contract workers are worried whether their company would still be open tomorrow. Non-renewal notices are being sent out and advance notices from employers are circulating. Employees are being adviced to seek a job in another company because the business is winding down. Reduced work hours have been implemented in various private and even public companies.

Since Saipan has no agriculture, no high-skilled local workforce and with such a small land area, basic economic principles would see the island as doomed.

Saipan economy used to depend on tourism and garment export. With just a handful of tourists annually and with garment factories relocating to cheaper China, Saipan needs Uncle Sam to rescue its economy.


Another big issue is the immigration policies. Contract workers have easier time to enter Saipan (a US territory) because Saipan immigration laws are unique and distinct from US immigration policies. A contract worker gets an entry permit (equivalent to working visa) which would only be valid in the 3-major islands of the CNMI. (Saipan, Tinian and Rota)

A contract worker cannot go to Guam (requires a US visa) or to the US mainland. Contract workers could stay here for 10 to 20 years or even longer, yet, they would not be granted residency (unlike in the US mainland, where you can have greencard or residence status).

Recently, a rally was held to propose that immigration laws be reviewed and that long time contract workers be granted residency or green card. (Children born in the CNMI are automatically granted US citizenship, thus, Pinoy contract workers call their kids, "Agila." The term is from the eagle printed on the US passport.)

Many Pinoy contract workers are patiently waiting for the "green card." Some even say that maybe the US would grant automatic greencard or even citizenship to all people in the CNMI. "Ganyan ang ginawa sa Guam dati. Organic. Pati yung mga nasa eroplano, automatic na US citizen na."


As I hear these issues, I can't help but wonder, "What will happen to Saipan?"


Would the US government rescue it? Would its economy recover? Would the "American Dreams" of fellow Pinoy contract workers be fulfilled? What would happen to the locals? Would the local government officials allow the changes?



I am leaving soon, so I could only watch from a distance as the events unfold.


No comments: