Thursday, December 14, 2006

Pagbabalik Bayan

When the captain announced that the plane is about to touch down, my excitement reached its peak.

Finally, after 10 months in the lonely island of Saipan, I am going back home!

As the plane was on its last approach for landing, I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, "Civilization! Bumalik ako sa sibilisasyon!"

When I saw the lights of Manila, I was grinning from ear to ear.

I waited for my baggage for what seemed like an eternity, I was a bit dizzy and hungry but I was so happy to be affected.

I was chatting with Ruby who sat beside me on the plane. She is to go home in Pangasinan right after.

I was just so glad to be back home. I was happy to be in the middle of the noise and confusion of my beloved city. I was looking at Manila in a new light.

The hotel taxi fetched me at the airport. I was back in EDSA. The drivers were driving the usual Manila style, unmindful of lanes and signals. Tricycles and pedicabs were on the main road in Pasay. The chaos was mine. This is my city. I was just ecstatic to be back in the chaotic confusion of my Manila.

Makati is now decked with Christmas lights. My eyes opened wide with awe as we passed by Rustan's, Glorietta and SM. "The malls! The malls!"

The malls which I missed so much. The fashion. The pop culture. The old life I had.

My company has arranged for my accomodation at the Hotel Nikko for 2 days. One of the perks of the job so to speak. It felt strange being the middle of expats. I am now one of them. Experiencing the life of the rich because my company can afford to send me to these places. I was treated well and it felt different. I remember when I was still working in my previous company, where I have to haggle for discounts during our out of town assignments because our hotel allowance could only afford a cheap room. (The junior executive suite at the Nikko where I was billeted was a disappointment but that is another story.)


I kept asking myself, "Is this how it feels to be able to afford the finer things of life?"


The following day, while my family and I went shopping, I looked around for the new trends in fashion. What the rich and sheltered people of Makati were wearing. The mall rats of Glorietta and SM were sporting boleros. Mini skirts with leggings. Layering is in. The usual jeans and shirts are now adorned with big belts. Longer shirts with garters at the hips. The metallic and shiny shoes. The latest gadgets were on display. The latest cellphone models. I felt odd with my Nokia 3310. And of course, it felt great to watch all the slim, fair and cono crowd I don't usually see in Saipan. Manila people are really far more sophisticated, fashionable and beautiful than the whole population of the jologs island. The only difference is, the people of jologs island are dollar earners and are American citizens. A cosmic joke with a political twist perhaps.


After 10 months of being away from Manila, everything seemed so new. Cubao with its million Christmas lights was more beautiful and could compete with Makati. My old apartment felt comfortable. I felt peaceful. I slept soundly although I didn't have airconditioners. My family was there beside me.


Malling was easier this time. I could afford things I couldn't before. It was easier to buy things now. Things seem cheaper and more reasonably priced. I was in the middle of the shoe section in SM Makati and I was amazed at the endless styles and unlimited choices. In Saipan, shoe stores carry limited styles and choices and are generally more expensive. I wanted to do an Imelda and shop till I drop but the practical side of me prevailed. Of course, I still bought 3 pairs which my sisters critized. They think the shoes were unfashionable. Have I imbibed the Saipan fashion sense? Arrgghh!!! Oh no!


My vacation was not solely spent in shopping of course. I met friends. I went back to my old bank to say hello to my officemates and my former bosses. It felt great to be back. Riding the elevator to the 12th floor again. Greeting Mang Loloy our guard. Drinking the P10 (2 dimes) coffee from the vending machine again. Endless stories and updates. The changes I've noticed from my bosses (the thinning hair). The level of comfort while talking to my old and trusted friends was more heartfelt. I was braver to show my affection. I kept hugging them. I wanted to hoard all the memories so that when I go back to the jologs island, I could endure homesickness better. I am comforted by the fact that I only have a few months left in my contract and I am going home again.


It really is true. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

No comments: