Thursday, October 26, 2006

Judge for a Day


Classroom C2 at the Garapan Elementary School. Notice the computers. Macs!

A typical kindergarten classroom in a public school here in Saipan

Last Saturday (October 21, 2006) I got invited to volunteer as a judge at the Primary Grade Forensic Conference (sounds fancy right?) held at Garapan Elementary School. It was actually a speech contest. My qualifications? Well, I used to join these kinds of contests when I was in grade school.

The contest is open to grade school children of all public and private schools in Saipan. The contest covers 6 events: The Reader's Forum, Duo Interpretation, Humorous Interpretation, Dramatic Interpretation, Choral Speaking and Impromptu Speaking.

After being given a short briefing on the events, the forms and the room assignments, I was directed to room C2. We were in pairs and my teammate was Cathy, a fellow accountant.

I was impressed with the kind of classrooms public schools have here. They had computers (the computers were Macs!), books, building blocks and aircon. C2 was a classroom for kindergarten class. In the Philippines, only the private schools have these kinds of facilities and of course the tuition fee would cost the parents an arm and a leg. Oh well, public schools in Saipan are funded by the US government.


Cathy and I were to sit as judges for 3 events - Dramatic Interpretation, Reading Forum and Impromptu Speech.


Dramatic Interpretation is more like a declamation contest. But, since the contestants are 5-year olds, they could read their pieces. Most kids have memorized their pieces and I couldn't believe they were 5-year olds. The kids were tall for their ages, they spoke fluently (no baby talk) and they were very confident (except for one kid who spoke so softly). I was so impressed with this girl who was so good. Her diction was perfect that I had goosebumps while she was reciting her speech.


The kids were given a code so the judges would not know their names and from what school they were from. Most kids recited Shel Silverstein pieces, one kid did Captain, my Captain - a Walt Whitman classic.


Two kids recited "Soldier, my Soldier." A story about a maid (lady) who wanted to marry this soldier. The soldier had a lot of excuses, like he didn't have boots or trousers. The maid (lady) tried to provide what the soldeir wanted so he would marry her. In the end, the soldier confessed that he can't marry the maid (lady) because he has a wife. I thought, "What an asshole!" Why didn't he tell the maid that he was married the very first time they met. Why did he give all these lousy excuses about him not having boots or trousers etc. The soldier is a typical jerk, isn't it?


After the first event, we tallied the scores and gave the results to the coordinator. A short break followed. The 2nd event which was the Reading Forum was also fun. I was amazed at how kids read nowadays. They don't have the sing-song accent we used to have in grade school. They read with feelings. They were prepared. Some even wore their party dress and of course, moms put a little make-up and lipstick to little girls. The boys looked cute with their polos and neckties.


The most anticipated event was the Impromptu Speaking contest. What? Impromptu Speech for 5-year olds? They were to pick a topic from the envelope and were given 5 minutes to prepare. Mom or dad or coach could help and then the kid will deliver the speech.


The topics were: I wish I could be a cloud because
: I wish could be water because
: I wish could be paper because
and
: 3 things I don't like about trouble
: 3 things I don't like about homework
: 3 things I don't like about ice-cream.

Most of the parents wrote the speech. However, they just enumerated the 3 things they didn't like about homework or trouble or ice-cream or whatever topic was chosen. The contest could actually be called Speechwriting Contest or Enumeration Contest for Mom and Dad. If I had a kid and the contest would be like this, I could make my kid win without breaking a sweat.


One topic which really puzzled me was: 3 things I don't like about nothing. Huh? Would a 5-year old be able to talk about this topic? How could one discuss this complicated topic without going through philosophical rumblings?


We finished tallying the scores at 1pm. The list of winners were posted in the cafeteria. I was busy looking at the list when I felt a hand tug my T-shirt. It was the girl that made my hair stood at its end. The girl who gave me goosebumps. She was smiling and she said, "Thank you."

She won first place. I felt so happy for her. I took a closer look at at her and noticed that her dress was kindda old and faded. She looks like a poor kid but she was really good. She deserved to win.


While walking back to my car, I offered a silent wish for that little girl. I wished that life would be kind to her. That she continues her studies. That she does well in school and that she succeeds in whatever endeavor she chooses.


To be a judge for a day is such a heartwarming experience.

No comments: